Monday, January 22, 2007

A Quick One...

Rest in Peace to Bam Bam Bigelow who passed away on Friday at the age of 45. Bigelow was trained by Larry Sharpe at the infamous "Monster Factory" in Asbury Park, NJ. The Bammer is originally from Mt. Laurel, N.J. I remember him from World Class in the mid-80s starting out when Sharpe had a whole stable of guys in WCCW. He eventually went to work for Vince McMahon and was lauded as the next great one. A battle for Bam Bam took place as all the managers in the WWF lined up to guide the man with the tattooed head. Eventually a guy named Sir Oliver Humperdink(better known for his days in Florida Championship Wrestling) managed Bam Bam. Bigelow got a lot of attention for his feud with Lawrence Taylor. But as far as wrestling goes, his greatest moments came while working with the upstart ECW. Another wrestler dying at far too young of an age.

I generally am not a big fan of lists or award shows because they are so subjective. If someone tells me what their favorite movies, CDs, or sports moments are then it is more interesting to me as opposed to "Big Brother" telling me what I should and should not like. For example, Joni Mitchell's Blue album was ranked 30th all-time. I have that CD and I like it, but it's probably not even 30th amongst my collection. But someone over at Rolling Stone liked it enough, so what can I say.

Willis Reed and the Knicks' championship ranking first over the Rangers and Ali-Frazier for MSG's 50 Greatest Moments is another reason why I am not into lists. The show was a bit anti-climactic because they have Mark Messier in a hospital with the Stanley Cup cheering up a kid who is getting a heart transplant. He recovers and is on the bench during the banner raising ceremony, which Messier told him would happen. I'm not saying that Messier's visit was the main reason that this young man recovered, but to see the Rangers winning, the euphoria of the city and then this very touching story seemed like a great time to end the show. But then to go to the Knicks and Willis just kind of didn't fit.

The idea of lists, I guess, is to get people talking. Anyway Tommy Dee has his own top moments at The Garden, so click on his name for more...

I saw Freedom Writers over the weekend and it was the best movie I've seen in recent memory. Very inspiring and touching movie based on a true story. Hilary Swank's performance is nothing short of sheer brilliance!

Colts 38, Bears 17.

President Bush delivers his State of the Union tomorrow night, I'll definitely be watching. Won't you?

Two pieces of news from the War On Terror: Documents seized in Iraq from six months ago show al-Qaeda had plans to send fighters from Iraq to America to launch an attack. Also, a tape was intercepted before it could be post on an Islamic website with al-Qaeda's second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahiri mocking President Bush's plan for more troops in Iraq. The U.S. did not give further information as to how this tape was confiscated.

So who doesn't like happy endings? If you like beautiful women then go check out ECW's Kelly Kelly here.

Stay onsides!

No comments: